Events ► NAPERVILLE MARATHON
WHAT: Half marathon or 5K
WHEN: Sunday October 22, 2017
WHERE: Downtown Naperville
COST: Half marathon ($75) or 5K ($30); with our charity partner code, you will get $10 off the half marathon or $5 off the 5K. Register during Charity Week (Feb 13 - 19) and get $20 off the half marathon or $7 off the 5k!
PLEDGE: As a Charity Hero for Team Laps for Literacy, you are pledging to raise $150 or more and providing that payment to us by race day on October 22nd.
• E-mail Sang Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know you want to join our team and ask for your discount code for registering as a Charity Hero.
• After you receive the discount code, register for the Naperville Marathon Races here within 7 days for the discount code to be valid.
• Once you have registered, please let Sang know, and he will e-mail you a link to a survey. Fill out the survey. The responses from this survey will help us to create a better experience for you as our runners and to promote your efforts with fundraising.
• Reach out to your friends and family to let them know that you are running for us and ask them to donate.
As our Charity Hero, you will receive the following:
• Free team training. More details TBA.
• Free assistance with setting up a fundraising webpage and additional fundraising support
• Free pre-race dinner
• Free Team Laps for Literacy T-Shirt
• Unique Charity Hero recognition on your race bib (must register with our code before August 30th)
• Charity Hero exclusive village amenities:
a. Heated Charity Village tent with nearby porta-potties closer to start corrals and finish chute exit.
b. Gear-check dropoff at our table in the Charity Village tent.
c. Post-race stretching and massage within the Charity Village tent.
• Eligibility for Charity Hero awards offered by the Naperville Marathon Races
• Eligibility for Team Laps for Literacy awards (TBA)
Literacy DuPage provides free, accessible, and customized tutoring in English to adults in DuPage County. Since 1972, we have served over 10,000 adults through our trained volunteer tutors. Our tutors help learners like Karen, Pablo, and Janie gain the life skills that they need to survive and thrive in our community. In the 2015 Fiscal Year, our tutors empowered 422 learners to gain 1,545 new skills as family members, 647 new skills as community members, and 650 new skills as workers. These skills were applied by our learners to read to their children, describe medical symptoms, earn driver's licenses, and gain employment, among many other practical life skill applications.Click the video above to hear Elva's story and how her tutoring experience with Gert has changed her life.
Through the money that you raise, you will help us to empower adults, families, and communities through literacy. Your donation will translate into the following:
Oxford Picture DictionaryOne of many resources that we provide to tutors to communicate and work with their learners
Training for one volunteer tutor18 hours of hands-on training with a professional instructor, tutoring support materials, and an Oxford Picture Dictionary
Cost to support one adult learner for a year, empowering her for a lifetime"Before I started the program, I felt so afraid that I would pick up the phone and hear someone speaking in English. Now I don't feel so afraid." - Elva
“After I had my first daughter, I wanted to lose weight and get fit. I decided to join a group of runners, and their enthusiasm for running was contagious. They encouraged me to run a 5k.. and then a 10k... Then they encouraged me to try a half marathon. At first, I told them, ‘That’s not happening.’ But I did it. Going from spectator to a participant, it’s hard. When you are doing it, you want to be that spectator cheering in the sidelines while holding a warm cup of coffee in her hand. You ask yourself, ‘Why am I here and not there?’ But when you cross that finish line, you get this feeling of euphoria and that special sense of accomplishment. There is just nothing like it.” Susan Talbot.
Whether this race will be your first, your last, or one of many in your journey as a runner, we are excited to be there with you. Thank you so much for running with us!