Real Tutors, Real Learners
is a set of videos created by Literacy DuPage which
illustrates practical techniques for basic and ESL literacy instruction.
The videos are available for viewing on the
Literacy DuPage YouTube channel.
As you watch the videos, look for circled numbers that mark recommended
practices. Pause the video and write down for each number what you think
the practice is and bring your notes to class.
Although different techniques are shown for the different types of
learners, you'll notice broad similarities across the lessons. In your
tutoring, try to:
- Develop a lesson plan each week. Use the videos to help you come up
with ideas and activities for your learner.
- Always ground your lessons in the real-life goals of your learner.
- Try to include speaking, listening, reading, and writing in each lesson.
- Design your lessons to build on each other from week to week.
- Each week, review key topics and lessons from the previous week.
- Each week, discuss what should be done for the following week.
- Take notes each week on what worked well, what needs improvement, and
new ideas or challenges.
- Encourage your learner to generate study materials such as sight word lists,
picture cards, post-its and experience stories that can be used for study and review.
- Revisit the videos frequently for ideas and inspiration.
- Keep in touch with other tutors and trainers at Literacy DuPage to share ideas
and get help with special challenges.