Conversation groups give intermediate level and above adult English as a Second Language (ESL) learners more practice speaking English in a relaxed, comfortable atmosphere. There is no charge for attendance. Registration is required to attend a group. Use the links below to register for one or more groups.
All adult English learners—and their tutors—are welcome!
Schedule of Conversation Groups
Lisle Library District
777 Front Street, Lisle, IL 60532
Naperville Public Library
3015 Cedar Glade Road, Naperville, IL 60564
7:00 PM – 8:00 PM
For more information, contact Christy Palangattil, Adult Services Librarian, at 630-637-4952.
West Chicago Public Library
118 W. Washington Street, West Chicago, IL 60185
Every Tuesday (*In-person at the library)
11:00 AM – 12:30 PM
For more information, contact the Information Desk at 630-231-1552.
Learning & Activity Websites
- Activities for ESL Students offers a wide variety of interactive quizzes, tests, exercises, and puzzles for ESL learners.
- The Alberta Teachers’ Association provides a list of free, multilingual picture dictionaries designed for beginning English language learners of all ages.
- Dave’s ESL Cafe is an excellent resource that includes many links, activities, teacher tips, and lesson plans. This is a great starting point for teachers.
- EL/Civics Online is an online professional development resource created through the collaboration of the Adult Learning Resource Center (ALRC) and the U.S. government.
- EnglishPage.com provides free English lessons and exercises. It also offers links to a variety of ESL reading and listening resources.
- GCFLearnFree.org provides step-by-step instructions on a variety of math skills and computer topics. This site requires a good amount of reading but is a good resource for higher-level students and tutors.
- Internet Essentials from Comcast offers low-cost Internet service, discounted computer equipment, and free digital literacy training to families with at least one child eligible to participate in the National School Lunch Program.
- Learning Vocabulary Fun has a variety of word games to develop vocabulary skills.