Founded in 1972, Literacy DuPage is a community-based, non-profit organization, whose mission is to provide one-to-one, customized English language tutoring to local area adult learners, who have reached out for help in improving their listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills. Many of the learners are immigrants. Literacy DuPage trains volunteers to tutor adults throughout DuPage County to increase their fluency and to communicate successfully, leading to safer, more productive lives.
The Tutor Trainer is an intermittent, part-time position with flexible hours throughout the year, dependent on the training schedule. This position is responsible for completing initial core volunteer tutor training sessions and serves as the primary Literacy DuPage liaison for tutors in training. Typically, there are 12 to 16 training sessions held throughout the year and split among two to three trainers. Currently, all classes are held virtually using the Zoom platform; however, in-person classes will resume when the pandemic ends. This position reports to the Program Manager and works closely with the Tutor Support Specialist.
- Conduct initial core tutor training consisting of a virtual 15-hour series of workshops.
- Provide immediate support and feedback to new tutors in training related to learner matches, lesson planning, tutoring sessions and instruction.
- Comply with teaching and learning techniques based on Literacy DuPage philosophy and policies.
- Maintain contact with program staff throughout each workshop series.
- Provide information to tutors about peer tutor mentor meeting and other tutor professional development opportunities.
- Keep abreast of the latest ideas on training methods and materials through direct communication and website research with Pro-Literacy, Tutor Support Specialist, and professional organizations, such as ITBE, IACEA, TESOL, and COABE.
- Participate in curriculum update and staff meetings.
- Complete training session attendance reports and submit workshop evaluations after the final training sessions.
- Help deliver tutor training materials to the trainees.
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Graduate level coursework in Adult Education, English as a Second Language (ESL), Adult Basic Literacy (ABE), or Developmental Education.
- Knowledge of and experience in adult literacy education with the learner population served by Literacy DuPage. Minimum of 3 years of experience.
- Understanding of adult learning principles and their implementation in adult ESL/ABE instruction.
- Increase knowledge of the training design, content and delivery by completing two 15-hour new tutor training sessions: first to observe training and second to be observed delivering a training.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative style.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently, with a team, with volunteers, and with diverse groups of people.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer skills required including the following: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and Zoom.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Must have valid Illinois driver’s license, current insurance, and own transportation.
Offices are housed at College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL. At this time, staff continues to work off site.
Candidate must reside in the Chicagoland area. DuPage County resident preferred. Must be fully vaccinated.
Compensation for instructional time is $26/hour and $15/hour for class preparation.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Executive Director Ms. Bobbi Burgstone at [email protected].